Thursday, October 13, 2011

Count It.....




I imagine the Lord has been laying this topic on my heart for some time.

Since we've moved here to North Carolina, my heart has been full with the many blessings that had been layed before me by my wonderful Father. My house, my car, my healthy children, my amazing husband. My new found church family. Each blessing I counted all joy. And they brought me joy....

One morning I was driving in my car, running some errands and the popular song by ADELE came on. "Rolling in the Deep".... I'd heard the song a million times before. But this time a line stuck out to me. It was like I had never heard it before! HA!

"COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS TO FIND WHAT YOU LOOK FOR"

What do you look for when you count your blessings? Do you consider yourself blessed because you have a good life? Do you consider yourself blessed when everything around you is going well?

I was speaking with a friend the other day who is going through a real hard time right now. In the midst of her telling me about her troubles she said, "I know how blessed I am..... so I shouldn't complain...I mean, God has given me so much and this really isn't that big of a deal compared to all the good things I have..." and then she gave her list of "GOOD" things in her life. The generic list that we all give.

I dont want to discredit these gifts. I dont want to sound as though these precious blessings are not blessings at all. Because they are! But it definitely shows what we look for when we count our blessings.

James 1:2 My bretheren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 

COUNT it all JOY when you fall into different trials.  Rarely do I hear anyone ever thank the Lord for their trials. Rarely do I hear anyone say, "I am so blessed. The Lord has given me a trial!" Why? Because trials take us out of our comfort zone. Trials are painful. Trials are tiring.  But trials are God's way, as it says here in James, that our faith is tested. Trials are the way our patience is produced. And patience produces a PERFECT WORK...that we will be complete, lacking NOTHING.

Without these trials, we can not grow closer to the Lord. Without these trials our faith cannot grow. Without these trials, we have no reason to rely on the Lord.

Paul says in 2nd Corinthians 12:7-10

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations (meaning, so he doesn't get too prideful in the wisdom he's received), a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure (we dont know what the "thorn" was. It could be a physical ailment, or just some other kind of trial). Concerning this thing I  pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly will I will rather boast in my infirmities (his weaknesses, his trials) that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirimites, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Do we take PLEASURE in our weaknesses and trials? God didn't remove Pauls trials and ailments because they were the very thing that kept Paul looking to Christ. Paul says here he BOASTS in his trials SO THAT the power of Christ may rest upon him. Paul's DESIRE is for God's strength to overwhelm Him. Because THAT is what makes Paul strong.  Do we desire God MORE when we face trials? Do we consider them joy?

Sometimes when we are faced with a consistent trial, we cry out and get bitter when its not removed. Or when God doesn't change our circumstances we are angry, resentful, adopt a "why bother" attitude because things are not being changed the way we desire them to. We are out of  our comfort zone.  We forget that God's word says that trials are meant for our growth.

In Romans chapter 5, Paul begins by telling us of the good things we have from being justified by faith in Christ. We have Peace with God, we have access by faith into grace in which we stand. and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  BUT NOT ONLY THAT! (another translation reads "more than that.")

We also glory in tribulations (says vs 3), knowing that tribulation produces perseverance (cheerful or hopeful constancy! patience, waiting), and perserverance produces character (trustiness, experience), and character produces hope (Pleasure, expectation, confidence, faith). Now HOPE does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Without these precious trials, we are left incomplete. We are left without endurace and character, which here says produces Hope.

When we face trials of various kind, like a hurting marriage, a disease, and broken family, financial hardship, whatever your trial may be, do we approach the Lord in gratitude? Do we know that these trials are from the Lord, our blessings to produce a perfect work in us? Do we give up and divorce because our marriage isn't changing for the better? Do we grow depressed and drown ourselves in alcohol or drugs because we can't stand being uncomfortable? Or do we praise the Lord who gives us exactly what we need to make us perfect, Christ like, and bring Glory to Him?   Determined to stand in the faith given to us by Christ. Do we look to the Lord to be our grace and comfort in the time of trial?

Back to James:

We've read in James that God gives us these trials so that we will be perfect and complete. Lacking nothing.  In the midst of these trials are we seeking to handle these trials in a way that is pleasing to God?  Do we have this type of wisdom that is of the Lord?

James says in 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways.

The word "Faith" here in the greek is pistis. It can be defined: persuasion, credence, moral conviction, especially reliance upon Christ for salvation.  And the word doubt here in the greek is diakrino; which is to seperate thoroughly, to withdraw from or oppose. Stagger, waver.

This verse shows the contrast between faith and doubt. When we go to God for wisdom, do we approach Him with the faith that stands strong? That relies COMPLETELY on Him? Or do we waiver? Do we stagger? When a storm comes and the waves get crazy do they knock you down? Do you give up and do everything you can to get out of the discomfort? Or do you look to Jesus and allow Him to keep your feet on the ground?  I think its important to point out that the doubting man does not receive anything from the Lord. The one that does not trust in God should not walk around assuming he will receive any benefits from God. He must not suppose that he will  grow in the way intended if he does not look to Jesus.

Let us count our blessings. ALL of them. Especially the ones that are most important. The ones that change us. The ones that leave us with no other option but to get before our God in faith.  Let us rejoice in our sufferings Knowing that its a perfect GIFT from the Father who loves His own. And let us examine ourselves. Are we the waivering man in our trials? Tossed to and fro by every movement of the sea. Or are we steadfast knowing that Jesus is our strength? In our weakness do we look to Him because we know HE is the one that makes us strong?

"Count your blessings to find what you look for"  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you beautiful !! I need to hear this often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. God is teaching me these things lately and it is so good. I am getting a different view of life from Him. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tiffaney :)
    It's a hard action to choose this route in my life, only by my willingness to ask the Holy Spirit and His divine work within me will I be able to count my current trials a blessing. Please pray for me!
    Your walk is certainly a product of the Holy Spirit!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. read it again!! thanks Tiff Always being stretched aren't we? xoxo

    ReplyDelete