Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Necessary Imperfection

But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; -1st Corinthians 1:27

I'm not an educated woman. I don't work. I've never been to college. I did go to esthetician school to become a skin therapist, but that's not by any means a "Smart person's" job. My math skills are ridiculously terrible. 

When the Lord saved me, I was a 23 year old recovering alcoholic. Mother to a child conceived out of wedlock. By any one's standards I was far from being a "Good girl". My life was so shameful and disgusting. But Christ wanted me for something wonderful.

So many times we hear things like "Jesus died for the sinners" or "Jesus loves you just the way you are" or "Jesus sees you as beautiful" or "God created you just the way you are." And while those things are good and true, do we actually believe them? Do we actually believe that GOD...in His great perfection, loves us JUST the way we are? When we sit and examine ourselves; when we pick apart our character, or appearance; when we really take a good look at the kind of person we are; on the days when our sin is just oozing out of us, do we REALLY believe God specifically chose us to love Him and he SPECIFICALLY chose us to be used by Him? Or.......

Do we believe there must be some mistake? Do we feel like we've let Him down?

In Corinthians chapter one, Paul is urging the church to be one minded. To not be under any certain man, giving him glory, but that they be under CHRIST. The Corinthians were having a bit of an issue (among their many! Silly Corinthians...) about who's teachings they followed. Some would say "I'm of Paul!" and another "I'm of Apolos..." Paul reminded them that Christ is of ONE flesh. And we are all ONE in HIM!

Paul goes on to speak of wisdom. The wisdom of God and the wisdom of man. Paul says he was not called to preach the gospel with words of wisdom in vs 17. He actually says that cross would be made with no effect. Paul's wisdom would just get in the way of the beauty of the Cross. So he just preaches Christ.

Paul was an old, probably blind guy with eye infections. He wasn't very strong. He was broken up from being beaten so many times and stoned. He wasn't that strong of a guy! When he was called on by the Lord, he was a killer of Christians. Despised the message of the Cross. Paul calls himself the CHIEF OF ALL SINNERS...yet here he is, Called by the ONE ALMIGHTY GOD, to be a preacher of the gospel. To lead churches and pastor them. Paul was a pretty disgusting guy in his Pre-Jesus days. Yet we see how God used him to write the majority of the new testament. 

When I take a second to actually think about the men who were used to write God's words down, I'm encouraged and humbled.  These men weren't perfect. They were disgusting. They were adulterers, slanderers, prideful, lustful. Some with speech impediments, men who disobeyed God. Men who used their sword to cut off people's ears out of anger. Murderers. Shameful guys. Yet God used them.... He used THEM to bring Himself glory. He didn't use the "good guys".....

God CHOSE the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise and He chose the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty.

What hope this gives me.  Some days I feel like giving up. Some days I feel like God can't possibly love me. He can't possibly use me. There's someone better, smarter, prettier.. Someone who knows the word better. Someone who didn't yell at their children last night. He will use the ones who went to school. He'll use the ones that never fight with their husband. He will use the ones who spend hours in the Word. He will use the ones who dont sin that much. He can't possibly use me. I'm not good enough.

But here I read in His word that its people like ME...shameful, disgusting, incapable human beings, that He to bring Glory to Himself.  He uses the weak to shame the wise.  I am weak. He uses the weak things of this world to magnify His beauty.

What a gift it is to be a weak person. What a wonderful thing to know that I am chosen by God NOT because I'm so great and wonderful...but because I'm weak and silly. He loves me so much that He wanted to save me. He uses me to bring Glory to Himself.

It relieves a lot of pressure doesn't it? To know that imperfection is necessary in bringing Glory to God.

And the base things of the world, and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to be to nothing the things that are, That no flesh should glory in HIS presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption- that as it is written...... "HE WHO GLORIES, LET HIM GLORY IN THE LORD" 1st Corinthians 1:28-31

3 comments:

  1. beautiful Tiff, just like you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has touched in in ways I can't explain, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this message...I can so relate! Thanks for the awesome encouragement from God's Word! Love you Tiff!! :)

    ReplyDelete